A Fact-Check for the Four-Color World

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Profile: Royal

Okay. Let's see if this sticks.

My name is Royal Burnell III. I'm a 27 year old bartender. I'm also a recreational judoka. Have been ever since I was a child under my father, who runs a school for a university. I have also been taught Catch As Catch Can Wrestling by my grandfather. Catch is wrestling with submissions. I've also studied a bit of Freestyle Wrestling, Jiu-Jitsu, Aikido & Muay Thai. My interest waned a bit until 2003 when I saw my first Mixed Martial Arts match. I was instantly hooked. Mixed Martial Arts is a sport that puts two fighters of different disciplines in a ring to battle out to see who wins. I promote the sport anytime I can.

What I bring to the table is my knowledge of CQC or Close Quarter Combat. Fighting isn't just punch, punch, kick, kick. There are many different sides to it. I hate using this phrase but fighting is "a human chess game". There are many ways to end it. I also bring Martial Truth. Martial Truth is fight philosophy. It's why we fight & why we fight that way. Sifu Bruce Lee accidentally founded the idea when he was forming Jeet Kun Do and has been studied on & off since then.

I think Mac & Loren covered why we 're doing this blog. All I have to add is that I'm also doing it to help the common man better understand martial arts & hope that it will end some myths. I also hope that it will make common man & martial artist more comfortable to be around each other.

I think that's it.

Good enough?