A Fact-Check for the Four-Color World

Friday, June 10, 2005

All Your Base Are Belong to Us

Here's an open question that I don't have the answer to. Perusing the list of upcoming Marvel trades, I noticed the title of one digest in particular:

MACHINE TEEN: HISTORY 101001

"Hey," I thought, "base two!" (I'll admit it; I'm a math geek.) I grabbed a pen and paper and found that, in base ten, this translated to: "History 41."

41? At least to someone who hasn't been reading the series, that seems unusually random. "History 101" would seem to make more sense. In base two, that would translate to "History 1100101," only one digit longer.

Is 41 a number of significance in this series? Do those six digits mean anything particular in programming, perhaps? In either case, what does it have to do with 'History'? Or did someone at Marvel just slap some random ones and zeroes at the end of 'History 101' for the title?