A Fact-Check for the Four-Color World

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Profile: MacQuarrie

Since Loren got the ball rolling on the profiles, I'll go ahead and follow up wiht mine....

So far I've only written about archery, but there are a number of other areas I'm qualified to nit-pick (though I also intend to write a few pieces about comics where they got it right).

I'm 46, married almost 20 years, father of three (all of whom are archers, as is my bride), and have earned a living as a graphic designer/illustrator/cartoonist since 1978. I took up archery on a whim as a father-daughter thing about five or six years ago, eventually going on to get my level 1 certification from the National Archery Association. That sounds like it's really important, but it isn't. Level 1 is basic safety instruction, the knowledge you would need to teach Cub Scouts at summer camp. That's why I said I'm an instructor, not a coach. In other words, I'm competent at the sport and trained to recognize when somebody is doing something dangerously wrong, as on the cover of that "Teen Titans Go!" issue.

Other areas I am capable of discussing include religion (raised Catholic, married to the granddaughter of Orthodox jews, dabbled in New Age, passed through various Pentecostal, Evangelical, and Charismatic churches before settling on non-denominational Christianity); trademark and copyright law (hard-won knowledge gleaned in a year-long fight with the Pasadena Tournament of Roses); advertising; parenting; and random other trivia that may crop up along the way. Aside from that, I'm not at all afraid of looking stuff up, so if something smells wrong and I'm not expert about it, I will consult some experts (thank you, Google) and get the facts.

For the record, I don't believe there is anybody involved with this project who comes in looking to trash people or projects. Our goal is to inform, entertain and elevate the medium of comics. When they get it right, we'll say so.

And that's all you need to know about me. But if you're starving for more, my semi-occasional ramblings can be found in Rant-Man's Notebook at Monkey Spit.

Labels: