A Fact-Check for the Four-Color World

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

A Different Kind of Subway Strike

Christopher Priest is not only one of my favorite comic authors, he also has what may be my favorite comic creator blog. Even though we differ a lot on politics, his posts on the subject are still insightful and persuasive.

This post of his gets progressively political as it goes on, but Priest begins with his own fact-check of an early Brubaker issue of Captain America:

So, Cap battles these terrorists, who, for reasons that make no sense to me, clamber on top of the subway car, and who have, if I remember correctly, loaded the train with some manner of explosive. Having been born and raised in New York City, and having been a bigger NYC subway fan than I ever was a comic book fan, I know way more about the subway than I do about terrorists (or, judging form my sales record, writing comics). The scenario was simply not workable...


It's not something a Georgia boy like me would ever know, but it's a little surprising that it didn't catch the eye of anyone up at the NYC-centric Marvel office.