A Fact-Check for the Four-Color World

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Congressman Collins

While the congressional politics on Smallville may be disputed, there's one real-life congressional race that I can take a pretty firm stand on. That's because I'm running for it.

That's right, I, Loren Collins, have decided to run for the United States House of Representatives for the Fourth District of Georgia.

You may have heard the Fourth District mentioned in the news lately, as it's the home district of Cynthia McKinney. Two years ago I took a stab as a write-in, but didn't see it through to the end. I'd been planning on making another try at it this year, but learning that another blogger beat me to the punch really set a fire under me. I'm even going to attempt the petition that's necessary to get my name on the House ballot, even though no independent candidate in Georgia has succeeded in doing that since the requirement was created in 1943. It may be a lost cause, but like Jefferson Smith said, lost causes are the only ones worth fighting for.

My campaign site, VoteLoren.com is up and running, albeit incomplete (and ad-supported) at the moment. While few if any of you may live in my district, I sure could use some good word of mouth. *hint, hint*

Displayed rather prominently on the site is the Bull Moose logo, which was created by none other than this blog's other chief contributor, Jim MacQuarrie. Not only do Jim and I share a great deal of politics in common, but he's officially registered with the state of California as a Bull Moose. (Alas, he politely declined my suggestion that he run for President as the party candidate.)

So this is my new project for the next several months. I expect it'll be fun. Any suggestions or words of wisdom? Or do you just think I'm flat-out crazy? : )